Atlanta, GA – May 4, 2021 – Cardlytics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CDLX), an advertising platform in banks’ digital channels, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2021. Supplemental information is available on the Investor Relations section of the Cardlytics’ website at http://ir.cardlytics.com/.
“We had a strong start to the year with Q1 billings and revenue exceeding our expectations. Our results reflect a continued positive trajectory in our business,” said Lynne Laube, CEO & Co-Founder of Cardlytics. “The Dosh acquisition is already proving out our acquisition thesis and we believe the upcoming Bridg acquisition has the potential to be transformational given its technology and unique position in the CDP market.”
“We are extremely pleased with our results in Q1, which marked our return to year-over-year growth,” said Andy Christiansen, CFO of Cardlytics. “Our legacy business is strong and has a lot of momentum, and the acquisitions of Dosh and Bridg will not only sustain that momentum for years to come, but will also open up new avenues for future growth.”
First Quarter 2021 Financial Results
- Revenue was $53.2 million, an increase of 17% year-over-year, compared to $45.5 million in the first quarter of 2020.
- Billings, a non-GAAP metric, was $76.3 million, an increase of 13% year-over-year, compared to $67.8 million in the first quarter of 2020.
- Gross profit was $19.5 million, an increase of 22% year-over-year, compared to $16.0 million in the first quarter of 2020.
- Adjusted contribution, a non-GAAP metric, was $24.3 million, an increase of 19% year-over-year, compared to $20.4 million in the first quarter of 2020.
- Net loss attributable to common stockholders was $(24.9) million, or $(0.85) per diluted share, based on 29.3 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to a net loss attributable to common stockholders of $(13.5) million, or $(0.51) per diluted share, based on 26.7 million weighted-average common shares outstanding in the first quarter of 2020.
- Non-GAAP net loss was $(9.9) million, or $(0.34) per diluted share, based on 29.3 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $(7.0) million, or $(0.26) per diluted share, based on 26.7 million weighted-average common shares outstanding in the first quarter of 2020.
- Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP metric, was a loss of $(3.9) million compared to a loss of $(4.0) million in the first quarter of 2020.
- MAUs were 168.6 million, an increase of 20%, compared to 140.8 million in the first quarter of 2020.
- ARPU was $0.32 in the first quarter of both 2020 and 2021.
Definitions of MAUs and ARPU are included below under the caption “Non-GAAP Measures and Other Performance Metrics.”
Second Quarter and Full Year 2021 Financial Expectations
Cardlytics anticipates billings, revenue, and adjusted contribution to be in the following ranges (in millions):
|Q2 2021 Guidance||FY 2021 Guidance|
|Billings(1)||$85.0 – $95.0||$380.0 – $420.0|
|Revenue||$58.0 – $65.0||$260.0 – $285.0|
|Adjusted contribution(2)||$26.0 – $30.0||$117.5 – $132.5|
- A reconciliation of billings to GAAP revenue on a forward-looking basis is presented below under the heading “Reconciliation of Forecasted GAAP Revenue to Billings.”
- A reconciliation of adjusted contribution to GAAP gross profit on a forward-looking basis is not available without unreasonable efforts due to the high variability, complexity and low visibility with respect to the items excluded from this non-GAAP measure.
Earnings Teleconference Information
Cardlytics will discuss its first quarter 2021 financial results during a teleconference today, May 4, 2021, at 5:00 PM ET / 2:00 PM PT. The conference call can be accessed at (877) 407-3982 (domestic) or (201) 493-6780 (international), conference ID# 13719188. A replay of the conference call will be available through 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT on May 11, 2021 at (844) 512-2921 (domestic) or (412) 317-6671 (international). The replay passcode is 13719188. The call will also be broadcast simultaneously at http://ir.cardlytics.com/. Following the completion of the call, a recorded replay of the webcast will be available on Cardlytics’ website.
Cardlytics (NASDAQ: CDLX) is a digital advertising platform. We partner with financial institutions to run their banking rewards programs that promote customer loyalty and deepen banking relationships. In turn, we have a secure view into where and when consumers are spending their money. We use these insights to help marketers identify, reach, and influence likely buyers at scale, as well as measure the true sales impact of marketing campaigns. Headquartered in Atlanta, Cardlytics has offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Austin and Visakhapatnam. In March 2021, Cardlytics acquired Dosh, a transaction-based advertising platform, and has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Bridg, a customer data platform. Learn more at www.cardlytics.com.